- Hi, I'm Sophie. I am a person-centred adult and child registered counsellor and proprietor of Be True Be You Counselling Services East Lancashire. I work therapeutically with children, teenagers and adults using person-centred face to face counselling on a time limited, short and long term basis. My counselling includes private male and female clients and adults referred to me through an organisation or employee assistance programme. My work with children involves the use of individual play therapy, brief solution focused therapy, person-centred counselling and group counselling for children from aged five upwards. I am a counsellor for children in schools and at my counselling room in Clitheroe and Burnley.
- I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP), BACP Private Practice and BACP Children and Young People, as such I am bound by a code of ethics and practice www.bacp.co.uk and a complaints procedure. I work to a high level of proficiency and always strive to grow personally and professionally. Please click to view my MBACP registration details at the bottom of my home counsellor page.
- I am listed in the Counselling Directory click below to view my counsellor listing:-
- In order to keep up to date with current practices I regularly attend supervision, professional development courses and workshops. This enables my professional counsellor growth thus enhancing your experience in our counselling relationship. I have a great passion for counselling, for people and for life which is why my work is invaluable to me.
- I am a positive, creative person with a huge zest for life. I feel most alive when I am channeling my creativity which I do through music, style, design and art and I feel most at peace around nature and animals. For the last few years I have personally challenged myself by trying out new activities, overcoming my fears and having new experiences in order to live life not just exist.
My Counselling Career Journey
- My early passion for care was evidenced by becoming a Samaritan volunteer counsellor answering helpline calls from the public. From then I developed my communication skills with my extensive work history in customer service/support and sales, person to person contact always remaining at the forefront of my work. Having studied over many years, I have gained psychology and counselling qualifications achieving qualified counsellor status in 2009.
- I work from a person-centred theoretical approach which I use as my base for all my counselling work. Although I do not describe myself as an integrative counsellor, I do utilise other approaches to best meet the needs of my clients. My counselling history began at two charities, Maundy Relief, Accrington and SouthWest Burnley Children's Centre. I was able to build up my teenage and adult client base and increase not only my knowledge but my confidence.
- After having my daughter I began working for the charity Place2Be. I worked as a volunteer child counsellor and play therapist until my progression to Assistant School Project Manager. Working with children has given me a different insight into counselling and has given me a greater understanding and empathy in my work with adults. Working within schools has shown me that working with children is never done in isolation but systemically to best meet the needs of the child.
- I have worked in five schools across East Lancashire assisting in the management of the counselling practice. I developed excellent, professional relationships with school staff, parents, external organisations and children. I provided one to one and small group child counselling, short term, brief solution focused therapy and one to one long term therapeutic play therapy to children. I have assisted in delivering whole class work based on emotional wellbeing and facilitated and co-facilitated numerous child counselling groups dealing with bullying, transition, self-awareness and confidence. I have quite a passion for group work as it is amazing to see how each group member learns from each other and grows as a result.
Counselling Career Summary
- Hameldon Community College - secondary school counsellor
- Be True Be You Counselling Services East Lancashire - Proprietor/Child, teenage and adult counsellor
- Place2Be - Assistant School Project Manager based at Cherry Fold Community School, Burnley and Pendle Primary Academy, Brierfield, also working in St. Mary's Roman Catholic School, Bacup and Haslingden Primary School
- Place2Be - volunteer counsellor based at St. Mary's Roman Catholic School, Burnley
- South West Burnley Children's Centre - volunteer counsellor
- Maundy Relief - volunteer counsellor
- Samaritans - volunteer helpline operator
- Proprietor of Be True Be You, dealing solely with client and account management, bookkeeping and marketing
- Assisted in the management of various school counselling services
- Conducted clinical assessments with children and parents
- Provided peer support to colleagues
- Provided supervision for volunteer counsellors
Areas I Have Worked With
- Abuse - Sexual abuse/Physical abuse/Emotional abuse/Neglect
- Attachment difficulties
- Coping with family members illness/depression
- Domestic violence
- Family conflict/family difficulties
- Looked after children
- Low self esteem/Low self confidence
- Relationships/relationship conflict/relationship infidelity
- Social anxiety
- Stress/stress related illness
- Managing emotions
Special Areas Of Interest
- I have a particular interest in counselling children and adults who have been subject to forms of abuse. I am expanding my experience, skills and expertise in this area in order to enhance my professional development and to enable me to provide the highest level of support to people in this client group.
- I also have a passion for supporting people in accepting and embracing who they are which is where the name of my business came from. I have worked with numerous children and adults who feel that they are unable to 'fit in' with others as they are a bit different in some way. This could be from how they look, dress, act or their general personality. Some people then feel that they have to 'change' in order to fit in and as such this causes them a great deal of confusion and distress. I look at difference as uniqueness and it is my belief that you should embrace this as it is the true essence of who you are.
Be True Be You can help you with this
- Some people change to fit in with someone else's idea of who or what they should be. This leads to unhappiness, confusion and anger as you will always have an internal battle with the real you.
Be True Be You can support you
- to increase your self confidence and in time to start listening to your own inner voice and being true to you
Freedom is freedom from within and an openness to life
Be True Be You Counselling Services East Lancashire provides:-Counselling services Burnley, Counselling services Pendle, Counselling services Blackburn, Counselling services, Counselling services Clitheroe, Counselling services Ribble Valley, Counselling services Hyndburn, Counselling services Rossendale, Counselling services Preston, Counselling services Skipton, Relationship counselling Burnley, Relationship counselling Clitheroe, Anxiety counselling Burnley, Anxiety counselling Clitheroe.